Requirements for Admission
To be accepted into the applied and computational mathematics specialty of the Master of Science Degree in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, science, engineering, or a closely related subject;
- Complete course work in linear algebra, programming, probability, and statistics with a grade of B or higher;
- Demonstrate strong communication skills in the statement of intent (see below) and through courses in which written work is required;
- Minimum GRE Analytical Writing score of 3.5;
- Minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) speaking score of 23 and a minimum total TOEFL score of 100;
- Complete all steps of the admission process.
Students may submit applications at any time. Applications for the next academic year will be accepted until all available slots have been filled. All applicants who meet the entrance requirements are encouraged to apply. Review of applicants will begin January 15.
- Submit a statement of intent through the online application system. Application to this program is through the Graduate School of the University of Notre Dame.
- State at the top of your professional statement if you prefer the 10-month or 16-month option.
- Submit a curriculum vitae or resumé through the online application system.
- Submit unofficial transcripts from each post-secondary institution (upload through the online application).
Please note: transcripts may not be attached to the online application.
- Arrange for three letters of recommendation to be submitted through the online recommendation system associated with the online application.
- Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and arrange for the submission of official general test scores. The scores reported must result from a test taken within the last five years.
- International students whose native language is not English must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores to demonstrate language proficiency.
- Submit the application fee by credit card, check, or money order using the payment system associated with the online application.
For additional information, please visit the Graduate School's website.